Exhibition

In August 1895, Thomas Edison debuted his ‘Kinetophone’ on Market Street. It was a single-viewer peep show device connected to a phonograph, and it represented not only the first appearance of the moving image within St Andrews, but also the first appearance of what we might understand today as ‘sound film’ within the UK.

Since that day, moving images have been exhibited in a variety of spaces – from travelling shows to church halls to the New Picture House. In this section, we examine the shifting histories, geographies and practices of film exhibition in St Andrews.

Opening of The Cinema House

Opening of The Cinema House

The Cinema House opens on North Street in December 1913.

read more

La Scala moves

La Scala moves

The Roman Catholic church on The Scores is moved to James Street, where it would be used as a skating rink and as the first 'fixed' cinema in St Andrews (renamed La Scala in 1913).

read more

Kinetophone comes to St Andrews

Kinetophone comes to St Andrews

Film comes to St Andrews as part of the ‘Grand Fancy Bazaar’ in August. Among the attractions are Edison’s Kinetophone, which was reported to be making its UK debut at the event.

read more