Cinema Culture

‘Caligari Comes To Town: A decline in impact of the classic German horror?’

‘Caligari Comes To Town: A decline in impact of the classic German horror?’

In 1949, The St. Andrews Film Society – formerly known as The Dundee and St. Andrews Film Society – relaunched on its own, with an opening performance of Raymond Bernard’s Les Otages. For this opening event at the New Picture House on 20 February, each of the 150 members in attendance were personally greeted by Mr. A. B. Paterson, the original founder of The Byre Theatre and a key figure in St. Andrews’ artistic community. While the society would become an integral part of the town’s artistic community – through its Sunday evening screenings – its second performance on Sunday...

Read More

Monarch News: Long Live the Cinema!

Monarch News: Long Live the Cinema!

1943: The allies capture Tripoli from the Nazis; Television Broadcasting continues to be suspended; George Harrison is born; and two St. Andrews students begin their film magazine, Monarch News!   The ambitious Monarch – a hand-made magazine – was produced from 1943-1944. Manufactured against the backdrop of war, it provides a valuable glimpse into the period from the perspective of students, prospective film critics and members of the armed forces – all rolled into one. Founded by two St Andrews Students, Rollo Mitchell and Bob Edwards, and produced in Cowdenbeath,...

Read More

One of a Kind: Monarch and Mercury Handmade Film Magazines

One of a Kind: Monarch and Mercury Handmade Film Magazines

In the midst of WWII two St Andrews students came together to produce a series of film magazines. Robert Smart Edwards, aged 19 at the time, studied the arts; while William Rollo Mitchell, aged 20, studied the sciences. They took up the project during an intra-fighting period, while on leave from their studies for WWII service. Due to these circumstances, the publications were produced at Edwards’ home address, 20 Primmer Place, Cowdenbeath. The magazines were handwritten on plain, stapled, paperback notebooks. Monarch News, the first title, ran for twenty-two issues, from February 1943...

Read More

The first photography shops in St Andrews

The first photography shops in St Andrews

St Andrews may be the first town to ever be fully photographed.[1] Some of those first photographs are still in St Andrews, while reminders of this photographic heritage are littered throughout town. For example, The Adamson bar on South Street takes its name from a celebrated local photographer, John Adamson. Adamson worked with Henry Fox Talbot, who developed the influential “calotype” process of photography, to produce pioneering photographs of St Andrews, which have been exhibited around the world. The stories of Talbot and Adamson have been well documented. What we overlook is the...

Read More

‘But why, oh why, must such praise be sung in cinema?’: The Sunday Evening War Time Meetings, 1939 – 1944

Throughout the years of the Second World War, the tight bonds between two of St Andrews prominent institutions, cinema and church, surfaced strongly.

Read More

An Education on Eisenstein

An Education on Eisenstein

Utilising the academic setting and mode of address, St Andrews Film Society made a significant attempt to edify their members with the work of Eisenstein in February 1953 when they invited “personal friend and biography author” Miss Marie Seton to present a special lecture.

Read More